Daisuke Wakabayashi for WSJ:
Nintendo slashed its sales outlook in the wake of disappointing holiday demand for its new Wii U videogame console, which it had been banking on to rekindle consumer excitement.
For the current fiscal year to March, Nintendo now expects an operating loss of ¥20 billion, compared with an earlier projection for an operating profit of ¥20 billion.
Yikes. Hate to say “I told you so” here, because I love Nintendo. But the writing has been on the wall for a while. I just don’t see how Nintendo stays in the hardware business.
Yes, yes, you could have said the same about Apple way back when. But the difference here is that it’s not about mismanagement. The world has simply changed.
We’ll see how Microsoft and Sony fare later this year, but I’m pretty bearish on stand-alone gaming consoles. Microsoft is wise to make the Xbox more of an “entertainment hub”, and less about pure gaming.
I just wonder how long it will take the very proud Nintendo to license out their games. If I were Apple, I would give them a blank check for iOS exclusives on Mario, Zelda, etc. Apple is all about making moves to sell hardware — imagine how much hardware such a move would sell.
Unfortunate that now our biggest game console company is unable to get its product off the shelves
- alacy24 likes this
- sosheepster reblogged this from ezralahm and added:
- ezralahm reblogged this from greatmountain529 and added:
- tekniklr reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- kyokiism likes this
- bananatreez reblogged this from parislemon
- hangthecode likes this
- jonandkristin likes this
- greatnbetweener reblogged this from parislemon
- greatnbetweener likes this
- whatifindtobebeautiful likes this
- doodles1515 likes this
- digithoughts likes this
- greatmountain529 reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- jasonpbecker likes this
- rplusdc likes this
- swampdad likes this
- aaronstacy95 likes this
- davidson1point0 reblogged this from parislemon
- davidson1point0 likes this
- chrisbrandow reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- topolk reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- nutullabrain reblogged this from parislemon
- lynchseattle reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- katslefty likes this
- xrechargex likes this
- thebobbysblog likes this
- digitalhitchhiker likes this
- carlosramosg reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- bartdontlie likes this
- royalty likes this
- franciscohui likes this
- joncrowley likes this
- tekniklr likes this
- jsenum likes this
- tdhftw likes this
- spires reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- lucianmarin likes this
- nomnompics likes this
- sevenwinglesskingfishers reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- sbentzen likes this
- sevenwinglesskingfishers likes this
- bill said: The heavily-curated aspect of both ecosystems (Apple and Nintendo) would make for a good pairing, as well.
- whiteyoshi101 likes this
- parislemon posted this